News and Reports From General Meeting, July 3, 2021

Report by President

I am trying to get members to enter in the Lapidary section of the show. We are now allowed to enter late entries on Thursday morning (8th July), so next Wednesday (7th) is the last day you can bring them into the club for me to get them over to the show on Thursday morning. It’s really important we keep up the entries each year as it represents our club in showing what we do.

Sylvia is going to make jewellery in the silver room at the gem festival for the kids and asked if it is OK to sell some of her things while doing this. I’m sure everyone would be happy for Sylvia to do this.

We would like members to display their work in the cabinet for the gem festival to show the public.

We have a member who wants to sell one of his saws that was made by Clyde Eggert, who was a very good engineer. The saw is in first class condition, however this will come up later in the meeting.

Michael Hardcastle
President CMLC

Other Reports

Gem Festival Preparation

  • Ticket Selling at Earlville Shopping Centre - 3 weeks done - Thanks to all volunteers - Still need volunteers for next week, roster on counter or let Jan know
  • Show everyone the bag and pens
  • Woollies gave a $50 card to go toward the food
  • Michael to purchase 12 more chairs
  • Betty Reece purchased a 50 cup 10lt urn for the kitchen - committee gave the go ahead
  • Peggy Craig is making a banner to hang along the front fence for advertising - This can be stored and used each year
  • Online Roster will be sent out again - disappointed as not many filled in the first one
  • Sokar will keep us updated on any changes to the Covid happenings
  • Food stickers will be a covid regulation for home made food. Will be available from Jan
  • Club Stall: 5 people have booked to date: Michael Rashleigh, Vanese, Rita, Kevin, Chrissy. Nearly at our limit?
  • Club bought a 1.5 gm gold nugget for the Metal Detecting 2nd prize
  • We have 29 Stall Holders to date with most sending in their application forms and payments
  • Everything is coming together well BUT….WE NEED LOTS MORE VOLUNTEER NAMES ON THE ROSTERS SO JAN CAN ORGANISE ALL THE SECTIONS

    Treasurer

    Report as read out by Richie Williams

Fire and Safety

Nil

Website

All traffic still trending up with Australian traffic dramatically up and the American traffic slightly up. Referrals from Google for the home page and all the pages are still trending up. No charges are expected.

John Heenan has also supplied further info and graphs to keep up updated.

Members

New members

New members were welcomed into the club. These are Atman Majda, Andrew Harvey, Julie Harvey, Charles Lazarus, Wolfgang Mayer, Ciska Keerssemeeck and Michael Verhage

Course Certificates and Presentations

Cabochon Course:
Silver Course:
Faceting Course: To be presented: Dale Beal

Courses, Classes Dates and News

  • CABOCHON COURSE: Some nearly finished
  • SILVER COURSE: Sylvia nearly finished beginners course
  • FACETING: Both Joe Ferks’s and Trevor Hannam’s students are nearly finished
  • TREVOR’S FACETING COMPETITION: Only got 3 entries - Wed 14th July last day to submit. In house judging will be on Sat 17th July.
  • TRAINEE FACETING JUDGES: Kylie O’Brien & Amanda Roland will train under Trevor and get experience judging the Lapidary section at the show with him.

General Business

  • CAIRNS SHOW: Wed 7th July is the last date for entries to be at the club if you want them entered by Michael. Jan Saal & Amanda Roland will be demonstrating the silver jewellery on our stall along with Trevor, Richie & Kylie demonstrating the faceting - Could be Parking issues?
  • CHAIRS FOR SALE: A decision on the S/H Dr’s Surgery chairs Betty put forward will be carried over to next meeting
  • BLACKWOODS OIL: Michael will open an account with Blackwoods so we can get a discount on goods purchased
  • DIRTY STONES: All dirty stones to be cut outside when the oil is changed in the saws
  • GEM LIGHT: David thanked Trevor for fixing the Gem Light in the mineral room
  • DAVID: Asked members to please leave the identifying of stones to Trevor and Vic when people bring them in for identification
  • DAVID: Asked if members could speak with new members, Ciska & Michael, who have peddled through a lot of countries, and are now with us at the club cutting and learning to cab stones they have found on their travels
  • COUNTER CABINET: Phill Smith has donated strip lighting and we need to empty the cabinet first.
  • FOR SALE: A MOTION WAS MOVED THAT: The club purchase Mike Rashleigh’s Slab saw at the discounted price of $2,400. MOVED Joe Venables. SECONDED Betty Reece. THOSE IN FAVOUR All. AGAINST Nil.
  • OFFICE WORKS: Jan to write re obtaining equipment through their in house grant
  • AGM: September 4th - Current positions will all resign and all positions will then be up for voting.