15 October 2020
13 October 2020
Two more valuable additions to the equipment gallery from Bill Reece, a willoughby and fossicking stand
12 October 2020
Jan emailed the minutes from our general meeting on 10 October.
Jan has requested member reply to email ASAP with ideas for our Christmas party this year while under COVID-19 rules.
Please encourage friends to like the club’s facebook page, nearly at 1000 likes.
7 October 2020
New menu entry on purchasing (Services, Purchasing) and web page from Mike Rashleigh.
4 October 2020
27 September 2020
As per notices by email to members by Jan
- Next general meeting on Saturday 10 October (not on 3 October) at 12 noon
- Members can still join in on fossicking trip for long weekend 3 - 5 October
- Various items for sale to members, including
- Faceting machine,
- Lapidary saw
- Gemmasta lapidary/cabochon grinder/polisher with parts as shown
- Eight disc cabochon machine, double sided, two motors
24 September 2020
From notice by email to members by Jan on 24 September:
It is with great sadness to let you all know two of our past members, John Evans and Neville Ridley, passed away recently. It is always sad to see our elderly past members go as you know they take with them so much knowledge, wonderful stories and experience that we wish the young members starting out could embrace.
A sympathy card will be sent from our club wishing their families the sincerest of sympathy during this sad time.
20 September 2020
From notice by email to members by Jan on 20 September:
Just thought I had better keep you all up on what is happening at the club. Attached is a special announcement as per 1. below
- Make sure you bring some extra cash with you on September 26th as there will be a surprise pop up stall out the back. Please see the event notice
- It has been lovely seeing members we haven’t seen since the COVID-19 closing, so welcome back
- Jeanne’s No Stone Unturned is now available in hard copy at the sign out point near the front door if you would like one.
- Faceting classes have begun again with Vic Lahtinen doing the Wednesday session and Trevor Hannam doing the Saturday one.
- Sylvia’s silver course will start October 3rd with five students which is the limit for this session.
- Don’t forget to book in if you wish to do any of the next round of courses. Current membership to be paid and prior payment for the course is a requirement to secure your place
- Here’s some links to John’s newest additions & pictures on our website
Don’t forget to have your pockets jingling with extra cash this Saturday so you can stock up on some really lovely slabs etc from the pop up stall
19 September 2020
New faceting class commenced with photograph of new class.
Other Website updates:
- New Menu item: ‘Member, Photos, Finds’ with a new entry for topaz finds by Bill O’Reilly and another transferred entry.
- New update for Member, Photos, Equipment, Trevor Hannam showing a replica of a 1788 faceting machine and notice about donation of a fossicking sieve set to the club (to be further updated with images)
15 September 2020
Members showed fossicking sieve stands and a willoughby for photographing and measurement as well as for members to examine and ask questions on 12 September 2020. Thanks to Ken Vaughan, Tim Franklin and John Heenan. There is a report with links to updated information.
7 September 2020
The club AGM was on September 5. CMLC Secretary Jan has circulated the 2020 AGM Minutes, the President’s AGM report and the September General Meeting Minutes.
Jan reported 25 people attended the GM and 26 the AGM (as a new member joined up).
Jeanne Mora became the 15th life member at the AGM
Jan included a link to an online survey and requested members use it if they would like slab trader Bruno Simonetto to visit club on Sat 26 Sep.
- President’s AGM report
- Jeanne Mora has been added to the life members’ gallery
- New club positions
27 August 2020
From CMLC Secretary Jan
- AGM NOMINATIONS CLOSE THIS SATURDAY 29th AUGUST: There are still some positions vacant and we would love to see a nomination in these spaces.
- SILVERSMITHING: The Silver Room will be taken up on Saturday afternoons for the next 3-4 weeks with Trevor completing the last of his classes that were started before COVID-19 hit us. Personal silver work on these Saturdays will need to be done before 1pm.
- CAIRNS SHOW VISUAL ARTS 1-5 OCT: We received notification this has been cancelled unfortunately due to lack of help from their member groups due to staff shortages and the shortness of time to the exhibition.
- AGM SEPTEMBER 5TH: Only nine more sleeps
23 August 2020
- AGM, 5 September 2020, 12 Noon
- Sausage Sizzle following
- Appointing Proxy (see link below)
- Have your say and vote
- CANCELLED (Please see below): CAIRNS SHOW ASSOCIATION IS PLANNING A VISUAL ARTS EXHIBITION 1st—5th OCTOBER AND WOULD LIKE THE MEMBERS OF OUR CLUB TO PARTICIPATE. WE WILL FORWARD ENTRY DETAILS WHEN THEY COME TO HAND
- OUR MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE HAS APPROVED COMMENCEMENT OF CLASSES WITH TREVOR’S COMPLETION OF HIS FINAL THREE SILVER CLASSES TO BE FIRST OFF THE RANK. FACETING BOOKINGS WILL BE NOTIFIED ALONG WITH DETAILS OF SYLVIA’S NEXT LOT OF CLASSES. Of course we must keep in mind, since this MC decision there has been a Brisbane Covid outbreak and covid rules may change at any time.
- FINGERS CROSSED COVID WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST NEXT JULY AND OUR 60 YEAR ANNIVERSARY WILL BE CELEBRATED. PLEASE DIG OUT ANY CLUB HISTORY YOU MAY HAVE AND EMAIL JEANNE (address in link below)
- A potential fossicking trip will be advertised as soon as we have finalised the details with our field trip officers. Please add your name to the form on the noticeboard so it gives us a better idea of how many would like to go.
- Thank you to everyone adhering to the COVID-19 rules and bringing your own cup etc. We need to work as a team during this time.
Full PDF: CMLC Member News, 23 August 2020
With regard the cancellation of the proposed Visual Arts Exhibition at The Cairns Showground, from 1 to 5 October 2020, to which the club has been invited to participate: the club received a notice after club members were notified of the invitation above that the Visual Arts Association (VAA) were cancelling the exhibition. The cancellation has nothing to do with the Cairns Show Association. The reasons cited by the VAA were a lack of help from VAA member groups due to staff shortages and the shortness of time to the exhibition. The VAA thanked the Cairns Show Association for supporting FNQ visual artists.
1 Aug 2020, Monthly Club Meeting For All Members
The first monthly club meeting for all members following reopening was held on August 1st in the sheltered outdoor back area under new COVID-19 safety rules.
18 July 2020, Club Reopened
The club reopened following four months closure due to COVID-19 pandemic.
About 14 attended throughout the day.
One person used the silver room, the others were happy to catch up as people came and went.